What Type of Doctor Prescribes Testosterone?

October 12, 2023

What's the best kind of doctor to see to start TRT?

If you’re looking to find the best doctor to prescribe testosterone, there are many options available. Usually the doctors with the most training in this field of hormone replacement therapy would be an endocrinologist or a urologist. They usually are specialists with experience in endocrine or hormonal issues and may be able to properly evaluate you based on your medical history as well as conduct the proper tests to determine if testosterone replacement therapy is appropriate for you. It’s extremely important to seek a physicians guidance, and to not attempt to self prescribe/administer or obtain testosterone through unauthorized legal sources as it misuse can be linked to serious health risks.  There’s definitely stories about people who have gone and obtained testosterone from "guys they met" at their gym or fitness center however, this is ill advised, as you cannot guarantee the safety, sterility, or purity of the medication, and potentially run the risks involved with possession of illegal controlled substances, so this should be avoided at all costs.

Can All Doctors Prescribe Testosterone?

There are now many physicians that have taken extensive training courses on hormone replacement therapy, including CMES, online classes, and seminars that focus on Anti-Aging and Hormone Replacement.  Some primary care, physicians, internal medicine, specialists, DO's, etc. maybe extremely knowledgeable and well-versed in this specialized field of medicine. Always ask what type of experience the doctor has in regards to TRT so that you can be confident that they have the experience in this field of healthcare to properly test, diagnose, treat and monitor your treatment. It’s also important to work with a doctor that has expertise in HRT related issues so that they can properly mitigate any potential side effects that may arise from therapy.

What Do You Need To Do To Start Testosterone Replacement Therapy?

It’s crucial to undergo a comprehensive medical evaluation and receive the proper guidance from a qualified physician or healthcare provider prior to starting any HRT or testosterone therapy.  A medical history, as well as a consultation to discuss the symptoms and signs of low T, as well as a comprehensive blood test which checks for the proper hormonal markers to diagnose and treat a patient will be needed. These blood tests usually check for the standard CBC and CMP but may also include hormones such as free and total testosterone, estradiol, a TSH, PSA and even LH, FSH, SHBG and prolactin. The physician or healthcare provider will most likely review these results with you.

How Can I Get My Doctor To Give Me Testosterone?

If you’re concerned that you may be suffering from low testosterone, and want to discuss treatment options with your physician, the best course of action is to schedule an appointment with your doctor or healthcare provider. They will be able to assess your specific situation and needs, run all the necessary tests and make a determination if TRT is appropriate for you. It’s extremely important to be open and honest about the signs and symptoms you are experiencing as well as your medical history during the consultation.

Always remember that self prescribing or obtaining medication without a legal medical evaluation, and prescription is not safe, illegal, and something to stray away from.  There are many clinics that offer hormone replacement, therapy and physicians that are knowledgeable so if your doctor is inexperienced or not comfortable with guiding you through this process, do a little research, read some patient reviews and schedule an appointment with a doctor/clinic to determine if they would be a good fit.

Visit us online at www.NovaGenix.org to learn more or call/text us at 561-277-8260 to schedule an appointment to speak with a licensed and experienced doctor.


Contact Us

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Blood Work Request Form

This subsequent lab panel is necessary for males undergoing Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) through NovaGenix Health and Wellness. It allows physicians to assess the patient's response to prescribed medications, covering sex hormone levels, thyroid function, adrenal health, hematocrit, and liver and kidney function. The panel includes tests such as:

  • Complete Blood Count
  • Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
  • Testosterone (Free and Total)
  • Estradiol Sensitive
  • Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
  • Prostate Specific Antigen

Each test serves a specific purpose in monitoring overall health and treatment effectiveness. When required, Dr Mackey may require LH and FSH (Luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone) SHBG (Sex hormone binding globulin) or any other tests which may be important for your health and optimizing your hormones.

The Comprehensive Hormone and Wellness Panel for Women offers a foundational assessment of sex hormones, thyroid function, adrenal health, metabolic activity, and overall well-being. This panel serves as a diagnostic tool for identifying testosterone and estrogen deficiencies, assessing health risks, and detecting potential thyroid issues before considering hormone replacement therapy. Additionally, it includes insights into hematocrit (red blood cell volume), as well as liver and kidney function. The panel encompasses various tests such as:

  • Complete Blood Count (CBC)
  • Complete Metabolic Panel
  • Testosterone (free and total)
  • Estradiol
  • Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
  • Progesterone

When indicated, Dr. Mackey may require additional tests such as Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH), and IGF-1 and Cortisol.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

609 N Hepburn avenue suite 106. Jupiter, Florida 33458

Schedule a Consultation

Learn what you want to know about hormone therapy by scheduling a free consultation.

Contact Us Today

609 N Hepburn avenue suite 106. Jupiter, Florida 33458